Immunity from Seizure
Part 6 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 provides immunity from seizure for cultural objects which are loaned from overseas to temporary public exhibitions in approved museums or galleries in the UK where conditions are met when the object enters the UK. GRAD is an approved institution.
The conditions for the provision of immunity from seizure are:
- The object is usually kept outside the UK
- It is not owned by a person resident in the UK
- Its import does not contravene any import regulations
- It is brought to the UK for public display in a temporary exhibition at a museum or gallery
- The borrowing museum or gallery is approved under the Act
- The borrowing museum has published information about the object
Works of art intended to form part of the forthcoming exhibition Unexpected Eisenstein at GRAD: Gallery for Russian Arts and Design that may be covered by immunity from seizure are listed this document (PDF).